Wednesday, January 7, 2009
What A Young Man Should Look Like, In My Opinion
Photo Credit: Life
In today's society, most young men and especially the collegiate crowd do not display what a young man should look like in my opinion. We are encountered by a wave of baggy pants, shirts, and square-toed shoes among other inappropriate items. Sure, who am I to decide what our youth and society should place on their bodies in the morning, but it is not arguable that society has changed from the sartorial bliss of the past to the ho hum present. The gentleman above would have been viewed as a normally dressed gentleman in the past, but today, he would turn heads with his outfit and bow tie. Anyway, I suggest that all young men (and older) acquire the following as a minimum wardrobe.
- At least 10 dress shirts with a collar (The number of button downs and other various collars depends on your job)
- Chinos in various shades of khaki and stone
- Gray flannel trousers
- Pair of corduroy trousers in khaki
- Navy blazer with gold buttons
- Gray Suit in Worsted Wool
- White Pocket Squares
- Pair of penny loafers
- Pair of topsiders
- 2 Pair of dress shoes in brown & black (tassels, wing-tips) No square toes....period!
- Belts to match the shoes (The match doesn't have to be exact, but brown with brown and black with black)
- Ties in repp and club